Sunday, May 15, 2011

Gesture Drawing: How to Draw a Mermaid

Gesture drawings can help take the fear out of drawing the human form. If you ever thought that you can't even draw a stick figure, I've got great news for you folks! I don't consider myself to be Michael Angelo at drawing mermaids or the figure in general but I can tell you that gesture drawing helped me more than I could have imagined.


Serafina mermaid as stick figure gesture
I went from drawing this simple sketch above to the drawing you see below. One thing to keep in mind is that this drawing was pieced together using several drawings. Hey, that's why they invented tracing paper but you'll learn more about that later.

Serafina mermaid final drawing
Kell Bell studio is pleased to present a short series of videos on how to use gesture drawing to draw a mermaid. The only things you'll need to get started are a pencil, sketch book and a little imagination. Let go of your fear and have fun, it's just pencil and paper. Erasers are optional!


4 comments:

  1. Fantastic tutorial of gesture drawing to mermaid drawing! :) Very inspiring!

    So glad I found you through the miz kate dot com Artist blog hop!
    I am your newest blog follower. :)
    Looking forward to seeing your upcoming posts!

    I welcome you to check out my art blog, too!

    Best,
    Mary C. Nasser
    http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love gesture drawing!! Great tutorial!!
    And your mermaid is fabulous!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the comments Mary and Sue Ann, I am so pleased you liked the tutorial. These really are so easy and fun to do.

    Cheers! =D
    ~Kell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I cant believe I didnt know about your wonderful blog. I love it and great tutorials! I will definately be visiting lots more often :) I cant wait to see your new art. Its always amazing and I love your style. Its nice to see you again.
    Happy creating, Gail

    ReplyDelete

Greetings!

Each and every comment adds a bit of cheer to my day. Thank you so much for popping over. I hope to see you again soon.

~Kellie