Friday, April 22, 2011

Artfest 2011 Part IV ~ Drawing Pretty Girls

Sunny Carvalho is such a delight and sweet as can be. She welcomed me like a sister and even procured me a name badge when one was not included in my welcome packet. This may have been due to the fact that I signed up for the event so late.

smiling Sunny just before class began
 On Friday Sunny taught us how to draw beautiful girl faces. I am impressed that Sunny can draw her faces so accurately without the use of rulers or a grid, something I have taken to an almost painstaking level.

original drawing from Sunny's journal
I think the most helpful technique I learned has to do with how to get that marvelous almond shape to my eyes. The solution was so simple I had to slap my forehead and say "of course, why didn't I think of that."
Sunny demonstrates a painted background technique
Sunny explained two of her approaches to faces. One approach has a more realistic look while still being folk art and the other results in a more whimsical look to the doll. The second approach is one that has eluded me until now.

a very cute student drawing
I'll be applying what I learned in Sunny's classes and move forward with my art in eager anticipation of what I'll create next.

a few more beautiful student drawings
Some of the photos shared in this post are examples of the work created by my fellow classmates. Although we learned from the same instructor, all represent a wonderfully diverse range of styles.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Kellie!!! I just found your post accidentally! It was such a pleasure having you in my class and getting to know you. I am so glad you took the plunge and came to Artfest. I hope to see you again next year! Keep up the beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete

Greetings!

Each and every comment adds a bit of cheer to my day. Thank you so much for popping over. I hope to see you again soon.

~Kellie