Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Living the Magical Life: My Something Different

I was hired as a contract transcriptionist back in late September of last year and 5 months later I still have yet to take my first job. This kind of work means no heinous commute, no restrictive dress code, and no having to get permission when I want to take time off. Total freedom within my grasp so what on earth was I waiting for?

"freedom" via Belinda Benn
I bought an expensive new computer, spent months researching which software would work best and be compatible with my operating system. I dreamed, envisioned, broke down every road block standing in my way including financial blocks and I still had yet to set aside some practice time. Tomorrow, next week, next month, I told myself,  I will . . . It's not good enough! It has to be rephrased as RIGHT NOW . . .  and go and do it.

"procrastination" via kilork.com
My "something different" for overcoming inertia is practicing with my equipment which started last week. So far it has been a lot of fun and I've enjoyed it so much that I've actually begun creating a little bit of momentum for doing it. Not surprisingly I feel better about myself having taken the step. My initial fear about beginning seems to have vanished the moment I started and you know what? Nothing bad happened. Isn't that interesting?!

Rohrig Tarot - Fool
Believe it or not, doing what you set out to accomplish actually improves self esteem because you have removed a reason to beat on yourself emotionally. The inner critic has been silenced, or so we hope. I wanted you to know that I'm right there in the trenches with you, trudging through the sludge, working through the barriers to a happier, healthier, more balanced life. What steps are you prepared to take today to rise above the monotony? . . . and go and do it!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kellie! I hate the inner critic with a passion! Does it ever shut up? Yes, it does. When we become active and don't give it something to nag about. It's the only way to shut it up. For myself, the project doesn't have to be finished in one day, just as long as I've done something on it, the critic will remain quiet. Peace! Blissful peace in the head!

    Today, I will build a dollhouse furniture kit or two and return my books to the library. I also have some short stories that have been sitting there for a few years that I never submitted. One is about a huge diamond, another one is about a woman who kills her husband, another one is about a rich heiress who gets murdered. I just need to submit them. If they reject them, then they reject them. I need to face that. I am the master of procrastination! Shame on me! That will be for tomorrow but I will prepare them today. I have to find them first. And, I must start writing again. I always need to remind myself that I can't do everything in one day just as long as I do something. But, preparing the stories for mailing tonight will be the impetus that will lead me to the post office tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

    It's true what you say about the initial fear vanishing as soon as we start. It's not always fear, though, sometimes it's just sheer anxiety! What causes this anxiety? Very often, it's the fear that something won't be perfect. That's how it is with me. Take care, Kellie, and keep practicing! I will strive to go forward. Even though I'm no longer young, I still have many unfulfilled dreams and I must strive to accomplish as much of them as I can. I haven't been everywhere and I haven't done everything. One life time is not enough for that! Sorry for the long rant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucille,

      Yes! I agree with you about anxiety and about just taking little baby steps instead of trying to take it all on at once. I think that's partly where the fear and anxiety and general feelings of being overwhelmed come from.

      I'm excited for you about your stories! Yes, I would love to hear what happens with them. I've heard of famous writers who were rejected several times before they were published and often it was the same story that was rejected over and over.

      Be gentle with yourself. We are only human. I'll be taking issue with the inner critic further in my next post.:)

      xoxo
      Kellie

      Delete
  2. Thank you Kellie for this post. Well timed for me. Spirit never ceases to amaze.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kellie for this post. Perfect timing! Spirit never ceases to amaze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi doll,

      Isn't it interesting how we get just want we need when we need it most? Thank you for the comment. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. :)

      xoxo
      Kellie

      Delete

Greetings!

Each and every comment adds a bit of cheer to my day. Thank you so much for popping over. I hope to see you again soon.

~Kellie